The following story was contributed by my good friend Esther...
My family and I are very religious, or at least we try to raise our children in organized religion. One of our nightly routines is we try to read scripture every night before bed. We read out of the King James version which as many of you may know uses older English and phrases like, wherefore, and thus, and it came to pass. Most nights as I read to my 4 year old, Mona, and my 18 month old, Jacie, they are jumping around, playing and what I assume to be not paying attention. I always think of pioneers who would gather at their parents feet to listen intently as they were read to out of the family scripture, and I wonder what happened to those "good 'ol days?" For the last week Mona has asked to borrow my scriptures while she lay in bed. Now knowing she is still unable to read and that there really are no pictures I have wondered what she actually does with the scriptures. Tonight I gave her my older scriptures to read and I waited around to listen and see what she did with them. She opened up the scriptures and right out loud says, "And it came to pass," and then proceeded to tell a story about a brother and a sister. Of course being pregnant I quickly teared up and my husband and I shared a surprised, but gleeful smile. I now know that those "good 'ol days" are still around and the children still do listen when read to from scripture, it just takes patience for those sweet rewards!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment